Just because they have a slick website is NOT mean they are a legit company, you need to learn to vet companies you haven’t heard of. Sometimes you don’t have time to ask someone else to google for you. Vetting a site takes literally less than 1 minute, so you should learn how to do it yourself.
- Google them. See if other sites or forums talk about them.
- Whois the domain. Was it recently registered? Was it registered only for 1 year? All signs point to a scam.
- Google a phrase from their Terms of Service, often other scam sites use/have used the identical vernacular.
- Common sense. Do they list a phone number? Call it. An address? Google maps it. Does it look like a business area? Does it not list the suite # in a large office building? Is their Contact Us page just a contact form? All scam red flags.
- ResellerRatings.com may have a listing for them as well IF they are legit.
- You might want to install WOT (Web of Trust) extension.
- The very last thing you should do, if all signs point to “legit” ask someone on /r/scams
Also, understand the difference between a Marketplace and a Seller. Is craigslist/ebay/amazon 3rd party/Ecrater/etc legit? Yes. Do they have the potential to have fraudulent sellers on them? Yes.